Head lice are every parent’s worst nightmare. They dread the day their kid comes home from school complaining about an itchy scalp because they know how annoying and difficult to remove they can be. They are small, wingless insects which feed on human blood and are very contagious. Usually kids in school get them but it can happen to an adult just as easy. Even though they are not dangerous they can be quite annoying and cause itching and an inflamed scalp. If they’re not eliminated in time the situation can get really bad because they multiply very quickly and can even lead to an infection.
You can find a number of lice shampoos and similar products on the market but if you’ve dealt with this situation you know that they can be ineffective and rather expensive. Then there’s the infinite combing which can last or hours and still leave some of these pesky parasites behind. If you’ve tried every trick in the book and you just don’t know what else to do to resolve this issue don’t worry, we’re here to help you. The following home remedy has proven to be extremely effective against head lice and if your child has them you should most definitely try it out.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Listerine mouthwash (You can use another brand).
- Lice comb.
- White vinegar.
- A couple of towels.
- Shower cup or plastic bags.
- First, wash your child’s head with mouthwash until it is completely wet. Wrap the hair with a plastic bag or cover it with a bathing cap. Leave the mouthwash on for at least an hour and carefully remove the cap. Wash your kid’s hair with vinegar and cover it again with a cap for an additional hour. Then, remove the cap and wash your child’s hair with regular shampoo. In the end comb your hair with the lice comb and that’s it.The trick is in the strong smell of Listerine which will keep them away because they can’t stand the smell of peppermint. You can even pour some Listerine in a small spray bottle and spray your kid’s hair before going to school as a precaution measure.This is a much better option than the commercially available lice shampoos because they’re usually full of toxic chemicals which can do a lot of damage to your child’s scalp.Here are the advantages of using this natural remedy instead of the lice shampoos from the store:
- This remedy is natural and free from any side effects
- It gives long-term results (after treatment, lice are unlikely to appear again).
- It’s inexpensive
- Just a couple of spritzes will keep the lice away.
- You kid is completely protected
- It leaves the hair smooth, shiny and smelling nice